Sedimentary Sentiments

For any who have been to southern Utah, the effects of weathering have easily been seen around every corner. Sedimentary rocks abound, like this one (with my wife, father in law & I).


Before doing a little reading, I guessed that Delicate Arch would indeed be considered a sedimentary rock due its make up of sandstone, one of the most well known sedimentary rocks.

I also found this gem (meaning good example. not actually a gem), in my back yard of sandstone.



Caused by iron oxide, this stone, as well as those found throughout the United States Southwest, gain incredible color that bring crowds from all over the world. Due to both weathering factors, and change in rock color, I believe that rocks such as the one in my back yard, and those found in Moab, have undergone both chemical and mechanical weathering.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Examples of Metamorphic Architecture & Art

Right From the Backyard

Mid-Atlantic Ocean Ridge